SEARCH IN SHOWS
Just enter a show number or Artist, Singer, Bandleader,
Song or Show Title. – Partial names or phrases are okay.
For advanced search options, click the button on the search field below.
|Birth name||Samuel Louis Nistico|
|Born||February 6, 1924|
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Associated acts||Count Basie|
Sammy Nestico has been a professional music arranger since 1941, when he became a staff arranger at age 17 for ABC radio station WCAE in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. During his career, he arranged music for the Count Basie Orchestra (1967–1984), the U.S. Air Force Band (fifteen years) and the U.S. Marine Band (five years) both in Washington, D.C. In addition, he played trombone in the big bands of Tommy Dorsey, Woody Herman, Gene Krupa, and Charlie Barnet.
In 1998–1999 Nestico was a professor at the University of Georgia, teaching commercial orchestration and conducting the studio orchestra. He also directed music programs at Los Angeles Pierce College, Woodland Hills, California, Westinghouse Memorial High School, and Wilmerding, Pennsylvania.
During his long career in the television and film industry, he arranged and conducted projects for Bing Crosby, Sarah Vaughan, Toni Tennille, Frank Sinatra, Phil Collins, Barbra Streisand, and Count Basie. As orchestrator, he has worked on nearly seventy television programs, including Mission: Impossible, Mannix, Charlie's Angels, and The Mod Squad.
He has published nearly 600 numbers for school groups and many for professional big bands. He has conducted and recorded his arrangements with several leading European Radio Jazz Orchestras, including the BBC Big Band in London, Germany's and and the DR Big Band.
- 1982 Dark Orchid (Palo Alto)
- 1986 Night Flight (Sea Breeze)
- 1998 Big Band Favorites of Sammy Nestico (Summit)
- 2000 Sammy Nestico – For You to Play (Jamey Aebersold)
- 2000 Basie & Beyond The Quincy Jones-Sammy Nestico Orchestra (Qwest / Warner Bros.)
- 2005 No Time Like the Present (Hänssler)
- 2005 Basie Cally Sammy: The Music of Count Basie and Sammy Nestico (Hänssler)
- 2009 Sammy Nesticol, Vol. 3: Fun Time (Hänssler)
- 2011 Fun Time & More Live (Hänssler)
- 2017 A Cool Breeze with Sammy Nestico with the SWR Big Band (SWR Music)
With Count Basie
- Chairman of the Board (Roulette, 1959)
- Basie Straight Ahead (Dot, 1968)
- Standing Ovation (Dot, 1969)
- Have a Nice Day (Daybreak, 1971)
- Bing 'n' Basie (Daybreak, 1972)
- 88 Basie Street (Pablo, 1983)
- Fancy Pants (Pablo, 1983)
With Frank Sinatra
With Sarah Vaughan
- Send in the Clowns (Pablo, 1981)
The Sammy Nestico Award
|Year||Award Recipient||Place of Residence|
|2016||Ike Kalapos||Deep River, CT|
|2014||William Longo II||Miramar, FL|
|2011||Scott Nimmer||Taylorville, IL|
|2010||Jeremy Levy||Hannibal, MO|
|2009||Sara Jacovino||Middlebury, CT|
|2008||Michael Dease||Augusta, GA|
|2007||Christopher Schmitz||Anchorage, AK|
|2006||Carl Murr||Dallas, TX|
|2005||David Cutler||Pittsburgh, PA|
|2004||Stephen Smith||Denton, TX|
|2003||Aaron Lington||Denton, TX|
|2002||Earl MacDonald||Mansfield Center, CT|
|2001||Curtis Stephan||Carrollton, TX|
|2000||Jeff Antoniuk||Annapolis, MD|
|1999||no award issued||-|
|1998||Joey Sellers||Brooklyn, NY|
|1997||Lyle Durland||Provo, UT|
|1996||William Straub||Syracuse, NY|
|1996||Charles Bayne||Dallas, TX|
- "Sammy Nestico | Album Discography | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 25 January 2017.