SEARCH IN SHOWS
Just enter a show number or Artist, Singer, Bandleader,
Song or Show Title. – Partial names or phrases are okay.
For advanced search options, click the button on the search field below.
Helen Ward (singer)
|Born||September 19, 1913|
New York City
|Died||April 21, 1998 (aged 84)|
|Associated acts||Benny Goodman|
In 1938, Marx arranged for Benny Goodman's Carnegie Hall concert to be recorded for her as an anniversary present. That recording was later released as a dual LP set by Columbia Records in 1950 under the title The Famous 1938 Carnegie Hall Jazz Concert.
After her marriage to Marx ended, Ward later married the audio engineer William Savory. Savory was part of the team that invented the LP. Ward continued to do sporadic studio work and also worked briefly with Peanuts Hucko. Ward did occasional tours with Goodman in the 1950s, but effectively retired by 1960. She made a brief return in the late 1970s and early 1980s. She returned to singing at New York City clubs in 1979. In 1981, she released her final album, The Helen Ward Song Book Vol. I.
- It's Been So Long (Columbia, 1953)
- With a Little Bit of Swing with Peanuts Hucko (RCA Victor, 1958)
- The Queen of Big Band Swing (ASV/Living Era, 1998)
- The Complete Helen Ward on Columbia (Collector's Choice, 2000)
With Benny Goodman
- 1960 Swing, Swing, Swing
- 1987 Sing, Sing, Sing (Bluebird)
- 1992 Stompin' at the Savoy (Bluebird)
- 1994 Don't Be That Way
- 1995 Benny Goodman and His Great Vocalists
- 1997 The Complete RCA Victor Small Group Recordings (RCA Victor, 1935–39)
With Teddy Wilson
- 1994 His Piano and His Orchestra (ASV/Living Era)
- 1996 1939–1941
- 1997 1942–1945
- 1990 The Hoagy Carmichael Songbook, Hoagy Carmichael (RCA)
- 1996 Stardust Melodies, Hoagy Carmichael
- 1991 Early Hamp (1929–1938), Lionel Hampton
- 1992 Live from the Blue Gardens, Red Norvo
- 1994 Bandstand Memories: 1938 to 1948, Harry James
- 1994 1935–1938, Gene Krupa
- 1995 1933–1941, Joe Sullivan
- 1995 Heckler's Hop, Roy Eldridge
- 1995 Song Is Harold Arlen, Harold Arlen
- 1996 The Old Music Master, Johnny Mercer
- Jon Pareles (30 April 1998). "Helen Ward...Who Sang Hits With Goodman's Band in the 30's". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-02-15.
- "Museum Acquires Storied Trove of Performances by Jazz Greats" New YorkTimes.com - accessed August 17, 2010